A lot of my clients ask if they have to use a real estate agent when purchasing a home. The short answer is no, but this is not advisable. Why do buyers need a real estate agent? Professional real estate agents have years of experience, teams to support you and a deep understanding of every facet of the home buying process. Hiring the right agent will make all the difference for many reasons, including several found below.
1. Real estate agents know the city and everything surrounding it. They know the best schools, the best areas of interest and where the pockets of growth are located. They understand where property taxes are higher or lower, they listen to a buyer’s needs, and they give their best advice.
2. Real estate agents know pricing. While they do not set the prices, they guide sellers to make the best possible decision. When a client is selling a house, agents can weigh out comps in the area and make suggestions based on current inventory. Realtors can also determine the right amount for buyers to offer, based on information such as how long a house has been on the market and the cost per foot of neighboring homes.
3. Agents love the processes. From the massive piles of paperwork needed to buy a home, to have a deep understanding of all the disclosure forms and laws, real estate agents know their business.
4. Agents have great teams around them. Any experienced, respected real estate agent in the area will have lawyers whom they trust completely, plus lenders whom they know will respect and assist their buyers in every way, and a team of skilled contractors and service providers on whom they confidently rely. A good agent will also have a handy solution for any problems that may stand in the way of their buyer’s home purchase.
5. Agents make it easy on their buyers. From handling the paperwork to coordinating the showings, a real estate agent can streamline the home buying process. Agents will comb the listings to find houses worth seeing, and they will set up appointments around their buyer’s schedule. When it comes to negotiating the contract, a real estate agent will know exactly how to present your offer and professionally close the deal.
The real estate and mortgage industries depend on referrals for continued business. Therefore, real estate agents worth their salt will work diligently to give every customer the best possible experience. We hope that agents in the area always trust their clients being in our capable hands.
About the Author
David Reznikow is a loan officer at Fairway Independent Mortgage. A Brookline native and BHS graduate, Reznikow is currently a Newton resident but has remained part of the Brookline community. As a Brookline Chamber of Commerce Director and business member Reznikow has had the opportunity to add to the vibrancy and diversity of the business community while helping to raise funds for local charitable organizations through many Chamber initiatives. Both Reznikow’s parents have businesses in Brookline, still live in the home where they raised three children, and can often be found playing with their grandson, Cameron, at Dean Park.